Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Are Overcharges on Freight Bills Really Prevalent?

Are overcharges prevalent? For many years, we sent an article to prospective clients from Colin Barrett's old Questions & Answers columns from Traffic World magazine titled The Need for Auditing Services. In the answer he mentioned a book he and J.S. Traunig wrote about paying freight bills.

There he wrote, "we offered evidence indicating that the aggregate amount of such overpayments may add up to as much as one percent of the entire U.S. Gross National Product!"

I don't know if that number holds up today some twenty plus years later, but as I've said, every time I think I've seen every way possible for a mistake to be made, we find another. ***

Contact us for more information about our Freight Bill Auditing service.

*** Just to highlight this statement, when I was reviewing a client's bills this afternoon, I found a bill with a Fuel Surcharge at 814.96% - a mistake their freight payment company caught (no good for me!), but I wondered where that percentage number came from. It was the Contract number they had with this carrier. Like I said, you never know what you're going to see. The bill was a $796.88 overcharge.

No comments: